Christmas in Vegas
9:26 PM | Author: Jolena
It's been a different Christmas this year for me. I've spent it with my soon-to-be in-laws who live in Henderson, NV. What a fun time it has been so far and we're not leaving until Saturday! I definitely missed my own family's traditions, but it's been great being with Bill's. I haven't taken a single picture while I've been here. Oops! I guess I'll have to get some from everyone else.

Anyway, the whole family managed to make it here, and we've just had such a fun time. The Ashmans believe no event is complete without copious amounts of food present, so let's just say I'm going to need to work out a whole lot in the next 19 days before mine and Bill's wedding. We've had a bunch of family parties with all the extended family that's around. Bill's grandpa's wife is Filipino, and one of her granddaughters graduated from college this year, so there was this HUGE party we attended for her at their house. So many Filipino people were there and they said the party lasted for 2 weeks. We only made it there for the last day, but it was so fun.

On Christmas Eve we went over to his aunt and uncle's house for the traditional Ashman family Pajama Party. Lots of food, lots of games, and lots of laughs abounded. Afterwards we headed back home to wrap every single present for Christmas. I'm used to my mom who has presents bought and wrapped sometimes in March, so this was quite the new experience for me. I have to admit I didn't help much with the wrapping, as I was feeling rather terrible from a cold that just won't seem to go away, but it was most entertaining to watch it happen. I'll help out the next time we're here. :)

Christmas morning was tons of fun. We opened lots of presents, includinga new sewing machine for me!!! My mother-in-law is amazing, that's all I have to say. Afterwards we ate a huge breakfast of crepes and then headed out to Valley of Fire to go hiking a little bit to work it off.

Bill's grandma just got home from her mission to Harrisburg, PA, so we headed down to Tempe, AZ the day after Christmas to welcome her home and help her move back into her place. It was fun to meet her and some more of Bill's family that lives down there. I discovered the craziest thing while I was down there. Bill's grandma lives probably 4 or 5 blocks away fromt he house my parents lived in the first few years of their marriage, before they moved to California. Bill and I took a walk over to see it while we were there. It was so cool. The didn't live in the same ward as his grandma, but just the next one over. What a crazy coincidence.

So now I'm back in Henderson and trying to get a bunch of things done before heading back to Utah in a few days. I'm going to make a white cape to wear at my wedding. It'll be the first project with my new sewing machine. Fun times! I really lucked out when it comes to inlaws. Mine are great. I'm glad I've gotten to spend Christmas with them. Next year we'll spend with my family, but after that we'll be back here again. Good times.
|
This entry was posted on 9:26 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On December 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM , Alyssa said...

that is a crazy story about the house being so close!

That happened to me when I was dating Steve, he lived a block away from where my grandparents lived when they were first married in Cascade, ID.

Got your invite Jolena, you look great!

P.S. I met a bunch of people from your ward and we talked and laughed for a long time about you mostly. You are loved!

 
On January 9, 2009 at 12:19 PM , Jodie said...

Is this a secret post that you don't want many people reading? :) It's written in black with a dark background so it's too dark for me to read. I hope you had a great time in Vegas!