It's been 7 Years...
7:45 AM | Author: Jolena
I'm a little competitive. Okay, I'm a lot competitive. What can I say? I find immense satisfaction in coming out on top of the pile. I can't explain it, but it just does something for me that is incredible. I've lived in Provo for 7 years. That's right, 7 years!! Give it a few more and I'll have lived longer in Utah than anywhere else. Scary! Now, in that 7 years I've competed in a lot of intramural sports. Tennis, racquetball, innertube water polo, flag football, ultimate frisbee, and now softball. Not once in all those 7 years have I come close to an Intramural Champions T-shirt. That is, until now. Tomorrow night is the night. It's time to end this streak. And of all sports to be ending it in, softball is it. My team is undefeated in the tournament as of last night. If we win tomorrow night, the t-shirts are ours. I'm so excited!

Now, I've had some success in other sports, particularly running. I've amassed a few trophies and awards in the last few years in that sport. It's quite the rush to cross the finish line and find out that I've come in at the top of my age division. I'm a fan of my 1st place trophy from the Top of Utah Marathon in 2007. Who wouldn't like a black moose mounted on a slab of wood, if nothing else than the absurdity of it? My medal from running the Boston Marathon in April has a prominent spot in my little collection of awards. There's just something about finishing a marathon and feeling how my body is completely spent, how I've used up every reserve and every bit of energy and will I have to give that is incredible. Yet, it's an individual sport. It's a game within my own head. I use the other runners to help me push myself harder, but it's mostly mental.

Rising to success in a team sport has a completely different feel. When I graduated from high school, I couldn't wait to leave it all behind and get on to bigger and better things. That is, I wanted to leave everything behind save one thing: tennis. I LOVED playing tennis and particularly my tennis team. I still love to play, but now it's an individual sport. Back in high school I got to play with 10 other players and we were all pulling for the same goal. My win could only give one point towards our overall victory, so I did the best I could, but then went to cheer my teammates so hopefully we all came out on top together. And it was possible for me to lose my match, but our team still to win. It wasn't ideal, but at least it lessened the pain of losing.

So to come full circle from where I began this post, I'm playing on a coed softball team again, which I absolutely love! It's taken me back to the days of playing volleyball and tennis in high school, and I love getting the chance to feel the togetherness and challenge and fun of everyone working together to reach a goal. We're playing our championship game tomorrow night, and if we all pull our weight together, we are going to win and it's going to be amazing!

If all goes well, one of these is going to be in my possession:

Woohoo!!!
|
This entry was posted on 7:45 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On August 6, 2008 at 4:53 PM , Kelly & Tasha said...

Jo - Good Luck!!! I wish you the best! I have so many friends to have pined after this very same t-shirt. I've lived with this goal, though, not my own. Anyhow, I wish I could come watch. You should, you know, share the times you are playing, or something, so that we can come cheer you on. :) Unfortunately, for you, I have a date tomorrow night and can't attend. My thoughts will be with you, however! You'll do great regardless! Love ya!

 
On August 6, 2008 at 7:17 PM , Tori said...

Good luck! I'll think about you while we're watching the finale of So You THink You Can Dance. :] Go team Jones!